Monday, May 9, 2011

Money Saving Monday ~ Patience

Growing up, my parents loved to yard sale (they still do, actually), and it was at these yard sales I learned a lot of things about good deals, haggling, and waiting for the right time to buy something. This carries into my “grown-up” life in such a way that when I decide I want to buy a couch for the spare bedroom (dubbed the “nap and color” room by the kids), I don't go out and go furniture shopping- I shop around. I browse Craigslist and yard sales (even Goodwill prices their furniture too high for my taste!). It's not just high-ticket items either, I shop year-round for Christmas and birthday presents. The fishtank we currently have in our house I got for $20 at a yard sale, similar to ones we looked at in the hundreds.

Today, we live in an instant society- from instant mashed potatoes to take-it-home-now cars, we want what we want the moment we decide that we want it.

My money-saving advice? WAIT. Think about why you want what you want. Don't be ruled by your impulses and instead be ruled by logic and your budget. Waiting also ensures that you aren't wasting your hard-earned money on something that you find cheaper for yourself the next week.

Merry savings to all and to all some spare change,
Laura

0 comments:

Post a Comment