Monday, April 11, 2011

Money Saving Monday ~ Free Samples

My husband called me while I was leaving Rite Aid yesterday and says “Oh, I forgot to tell you, I need shampoo.” ARGH! I must have asked him half a dozen times before I left if we needed anything specific (besides my cheap/free coupon things I was getting) and he specifically said no. But guess what I got to do? I got to say “I'm not going back to the store, I'm coming home.” The sound of his confusion on the other end was priceless.

When I got home, I got to drag him into the bathroom and open my “sample drawer”. That drawer with every bath product free sample I've ever gotten. I pulled out toothpaste, floss, make up, hair dye, deodorant, and – tadah!- shampoo. The silly guy thought he hit the jackpot, exclaiming “We'll never have to buy shampoo again!” Of course we'll have to buy shampoo again, but if we used all of those free samples it wouldn't have to be for at least a couple of months.

The Christmas Fairy posts free samples pretty often- you won't get them if you don't sign up! When signing up for free samples, there are a few things that you might want to do just to make it easier:

Get a “junk-mail” e-mail address. I have a specific email that is reserved for sign-ups. I still check this email because I can still win things from signing up, but it's a lot easier to keep my personal email and junk email separate.
Use a different name. I'm not saying be a fraud, but you can get a lot of junk mail when you sign up with freebies from certain sites (it will happen, a business can fall through the cracks and sell your address). I just use my maiden name.
Don't be discouraged! Some freebies and samples don't show up- things just happen sometimes. Lots of things can take a couple months to be delivered, and sometimes you just aren't quick enough to be in the first 500 to get a certain something. There are lots of companies that want their products tried out, don't only sign up for things that you already know about. Sign up for anything you see (be careful of scams, though.) and you'll start filling your mailbox with fun stuff soon!

Merry savings to all and to all some spare change,

Laura

0 comments:

Post a Comment