Monday, April 4, 2011

Money Saving Monday - Indecent

Money-Saving Monday


Some of you may know this already, but for those of you that don't know, weird stuff happens to me. Sometimes it's funny, like the time I ran outside topless (because the shirt I needed was in my car) and got stopped by Mormon missionaries who actually maintained very good eye contact. Sometimes it's not so funny. Like Saturday when a man tried to take my daughter from me in the grocery store to get back at me for “stealing” his ice cream.


Saturday I had to run to the grocery store for a few things and took my daughter with me. On our way to the check out I spied a sign above a freezer that said “Everything $0.50”. Uh, yeah, I was on that! I grabbed some ice cream, frozen meals, and popsicles and loaded it into my cart. I saw one last thing that I wanted and reached into the freezer. I turned around to put it in the cart and the cart wasn't there. A little down the aisle I saw a man pulling the cart with my daughter in it away from me. I yelled at him and he stopped, and told me he just wanted the ice cream that was rightfully his. I just yelled to give me back my baby. A lady in a wheelchair saved the day when she rushed over and rolled over his feet. He turned around and walked away like nothing had happened.


As crazy as this sounds, it happened. As awesome as 50 cent ice cream is, my daughter is more important. If he would've asked for all the ice cream in my cart, he could've had it, and my purse, and anything else I could find and I wouldn't feel guilty in the least about it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, maybe we don't do it in a situation like this, but how often do we put savings above what's really important? Last night, I waited until my daughter was in bed before clipping my Sunday coupons because I was spending time with her. Yes, I stayed up later, but I put my daughter above those coupons and I felt better about it.


I hope this makes sense to you all. In the end, I didn't even think to report it until I came home and someone told me that I should have. Even then, I had no idea what the man looked like, I was only looking at Kyla, in the cart that was not in my hands. I honestly think the man was on drugs and truly just wanted the ice cream. It was a scary moment for me but now it's over and I'm not going to dwell on it, but I decided the I won't be taking her to Wal-Mart by myself anymore :]


Merry savings to all and to all some spare change,

Laura

1 comments:

Crystal said...

that is crazy!
i think if it was me and i had time to think about it,i would of started beating him with the ice cream boxes.
i can see some freak taking the products out of your cart but touching the cart with your daughter in it is not cool!!
so sorry you were scared,i am glad everything ended safely!!

Post a Comment